Thursday, December 24, 2009

Can I use my Mane 'n Tail shampoo (safe for horses) on my cat?

Just wondering. I use it on my own hair so I'd have it around if the kitty ever got into anything that warrants a bath.Can I use my Mane 'n Tail shampoo (safe for horses) on my cat?
Unfortunately I can't find a list of ingredients so I can't give you a firm answer.





I wouldn't assume that because it's safe for humans or even horses that it'll be safe for cats. There are so many things that are bad for cats! Essential oils is one example.





If you ever have a need to bathe your cat, I would go with a very very small amount of dish soap. That should be safe enough to use since you're not planning to do this on a regular basis, but are just anticipating your kitty getting into something.





If you were planning to bathe it regularly (which isn't necessary), I'd recommend getting a shampoo made for cats. They're inexpensive and they'll last a long time.





In fact, if you are anticipating that he or she is likely to get into something, it would be a good idea to pick up a bottle to have on hand.Can I use my Mane 'n Tail shampoo (safe for horses) on my cat?
I wouldn't. Even if it was OK for the skin (and cats have very sensitive skin), horses don't lick themselves the way cats do and they are a lot bigger, so I am sure it won't have been tested for cat ingestion.





ADD: Human shampoo is not appropriate for cats. Baby shampoo may be OK, but your own may dry out its skin.
My kitten had an odor to him and i asked the vet about what i can do...she told me to use just human shampoo...anything i would use on myself would be fine for him, just watch his eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment