Saturday, December 19, 2009

Is it safe to shampoo my cat 1-2 times per week?

My 4 month old kitten is very cooperative for shampooing, and I find it necessary to do because a fresh shampoo leaves me without allergy symptoms for about 4 days. But I'm concerned that shampooing him too often may inadvertantly hurt him in some way. Anyone know if twice a week is too often?Is it safe to shampoo my cat 1-2 times per week?
I would call a vet and see if there is some kind of shampoo that you can use to help your allergies but that you won't have to use so often. I think giving your Kitten a bath that often is a bad idea..it could cause his or her skin to get too dry.. but i would give the Vet a call.Is it safe to shampoo my cat 1-2 times per week?
No it is not a cat has the ability to groom itself. MInd you a bath maybe once a moth won't hurt but 1-2 a week will hurt your cats skin.
id only bathe it once evry two weeks otherwise his scalp will dry out and hell be itching all the time like he has fleas
I would be sure to use a creme rinse if you're doing it that often...instead of peach or strawberry scent though...find a nice tuna or roast beef scent. Kitty will LOVE you!
I would call the vet to make sure that that was ok. Shampooing them that much might was away some things that will keep them from bacteria! maybe there's a shampoo that will make it safe to do!
Bathing a cat that often will rob him of the natural oils in his skin and may cause it to become too dry and unhealthy. I would talk to your personal physician about other ways to control your allergy symptoms.
You should not be bathing it at all, unless it got totally messy in something.
becareful about shampooing so often ;as cats have certain oils on their skin and hair .washing so much will dry it out. ask your vet what are good shampoo's that will keep kitty ;s coat nice and leave her natural oils in ,,,, good-day
It will be ok, but I would by a soap-less shampoo for every other time you bathe her. Bathing to much can cause cat mange. I have a Himalayan and I have to bathe her often to and I use a soap-less shampoo every other bath. Good luck, I hope this works for you.
yea it would probably be OK.
Bathing is not very healthy for cats. Even weekly bathing is likely to dry out the skin (which eventually could create more flaking and dander, exaccerbating your allergies). Have you tried allergy medication? It might be easier (and healthier) to medicate yourself rather than your kitty. If those don't work for you, perhaps try talking to a holistic vet or a ';natural'; type petstore. If you have to give frequent baths, using an all-natural shampoo is a must.
DON';T use soap..Just rinse him in warm water and towel him off.Soap will dry him out
Cats clean themselves...if you are allergic take medication! Leave the poor kitty alone.
Cat's usually bathe themselves, but if it makes you feel better with allergies... it's not bad to bathe a cat. I would only recommend that you make sure the cat is dry and warm after the bath before you let it lose again. Cats can get colds from being too chilly. The more you wash your cat, the more risk you put him in for getting sick.
it will dry his skin out if you wash him too much.
a friend of mine is allergic to cats...this is what her allergist told her (i hope it helps you and your kitten to be more comfortable)....


the allergist told her that when she got a new kitten to rinse it with distilled water once or twice a week (not shampoo necessary) to help with allergy symptoms but that eventually her body would build a sort of immunity to the cat and she would no longer be allergic to it...of course she will be allergic to any other cats, but not to that particular cat....anyways, my friend has gone thru the process with all of her cats (has 3 i think) and hasn't had any problems...


good luck
Make sure you rinse out the shampoo properly, or they'll get an upset stomach. It'll probably be fine (Show cats are often bathed once every fortnight), but it might be worth looking at using Petal Cleanse and wiping your cats coat with it once a week or so instead.
Weekly bathing is fine, I'm not sure about bathing twice a week though. Make sure you use cat shampoo, preferably a very mild one, or one that is formulated not to dry out the skin. I use kitten shampoo even though my cat is 7 months old, and that works for me. Dilute the shampoo by mixing it into the bath water, rather than putting it directly on the cat. And make sure you rinse him very throroughly. Once a week bathings with a mild cat shampoo shouldn't dry out his skin as long as you get all of the shampoo residue off of him. I use the sprayer on the kitchen sink to rinse my cat and that works well. If you need to do something for your allergies more than once a week, I would suggest using Allerpet-C. It is rubbed onto the cats fur when he is dry and it neutralizes the allergens. I have cat allergies and my system is to bathe my cat once a week, and use Allerpet-C once a week (3 or 4 days after the bath), and it works well for me. You can get Allerpet-C from your vet, or you can order it online from various retailers. I got mine through Amazon.com from KV Vet Supply.

No comments:

Post a Comment