Monday, December 28, 2009

Is people shampoo safe for dogs?

It's all about the pH balance.





An excellent low cost alternative to both people and dog shampoo is the original, regular blue Dawn dish washing detergent soap, found in a plastic bottle in liquid form at any store. Be sure it's the plain, original choice. It's all I use on our Shepherds -- the German Shepherd has a double coat and just a little works up plenty of suds even on her. Works perfectly -- so now the secret is out ;)Is people shampoo safe for dogs?
Human shampoo is not good for any dog. It is harsher on the skin then most shampoos because most are not tested for ingestion.Also a good tip if you would like try and use a conditoner. It will make it look really nice.Your dog would love it too.Is people shampoo safe for dogs?
I do not know. I know that they do not need it. I was told that a very mild dish soap is a good choice.
People shampoo is designed for people, not dogs. It can be very bad for your dogs skin (not to mention if he ingested any of the shampoo, which can happen). If you want to use human shampoo the only thing safe to use on a dog is anything designed for use with human infants as it is usually very mild. But I still recommend getting a dog shampoo.
No not really. it is full of perfumes and chemicals
the truth is that it will not hurt your dog...in the short term. that is unless it has a serious case of allergies, like my past dogs.


human hair and skin is completely different than dogs. the ph is all wrong.


i would not risk it and would just go buy some dog shampoo. there are many different brands out their-just like with human shampoo. pick the choice that is right for your dog. and in some cases their shampoo is less exspensive than ours!
just be sure to get it all off
don't they test it on animals first anyway? I've done it before and worked great
don't use it on puppies, but I've never had a problem with it on adult dogs. It's especially helpful if you use a shampoo specifically designed for hair problems- dandruff, dry hair, etc. Herbal Essences is really natural and has lots of different options.
No, I heard even baby shampoo can damage their skin
It depends on the dog if it is allergic to it or not.
baby shampoo is better NO TEARS!!! Just don't wash them too much....
It is safe but not good. Their ph is different than ours.Using it too often can mess up their skin.
Well, I don't think people shampoo actually harms dogs, but I wouldn't advise it either. One time I washed my Labrador with ';my'; shampoo, and she ended up with flakes that looked worse than dandruff. I thought maybe I had just used a bit too much on her. So the next time she was out of dog shampoo, I use mine again, but not as much. Didn't matter, she still got flakes! I even used a bit of conditioner...didn't work. Although she ';did'; end up smelling good %26amp; what a shine! still flakey, and it made her itch.
Don't get it in their eyes, ears or mouth. If you do that, it should be. Use half of what you think you should use and rinse the dog very well. It really depends on the ingredients-check them, because the dog will lick its' coat and if there is anything in there that could hurt them, that is when it will occur.
it seems fine...just make sure u dont get it in ur dogs ears or eyes
I wouldn't do that. It might make their skin breakout in a rash.
Yes, if you use really exspensive shampoo.
The only human shampoo that i know of to be totally safe for dogs is any brand of baby shampoo. Make sure to rinse the dog a couple of times to make sure you get all residue. You should do this even if you are using dog shampoo. Pay close attention to back of neck and belly when rinsing. Good Luck!
i use it on all my dogs. two of them have sensitive skin an it has actually helped it. if anyone has problems with fleas i have found that dawn dish soap actually helps get rid of them. kill the fleas they will die. but i use shampoo for them an it helps there skin if it is dry.
no it is too strong . If you absolutly must then use baby shampoo
Where as it more than likely will not poison the dog... human shampoo and soaps are not made for their skin or fur! Our shampoo is made for adult hair, I did not use baby shampoo on my daughter when she was young because of the build up left on her hair. Our shampoos have major detergents in them and they strip the hair of oils. They super dry out animal's skin and cause irritation! I use Buddy Wash by Cloudstar... I use the most gentle cleansers that I can find.





Honestly if it is cost that you are worried about... sorry this comes with being a pet owner. You have an obligation to you pet to take the best possible care of them! I have a old, deaf, blind American Cockerspaniel. She has trouble walking and she has epilipsy, but she is not in any pain. She has no trouble finding the kitty food or kitty ';treasures'; (the tell-tale litter traces on the nose give her away). We just bought her a new bed... since at 14 this is her favorite past time.





So no to human shampoo!
Yes its safe for dogs but just make sure to wash your dogs very well.
Well, I've used people shampoo on my dogs and cats and they didn't mind. I kept it out of their eyes and rinsed it well. It probably wouldn't hurt if you had a baby shampoo- no tears variety. Hope this helps.
no way people and dog have different PH balance , unless your dog has a bad skin condition head and shoulders or selsum blue may help
I wouldn't use people shampoo on a dog. That is why they sell animal shampoo. It doesn't cost that much more to just buy what you need.
ya dog shampoo just doesnt have as good of smell or do as much
Im sure it is it was probably tested on animals

No comments:

Post a Comment