Saturday, December 19, 2009

Shampoo safe or not skin care etc during pregnacy?

I heard it was not safe to use most shampoo or skin care products during pregnacy. Are the chemicals in shampoo or skin care something to avoid or what should i use. Ive miscarried already once so Id like to be extra careful, what should i avoid.Shampoo safe or not skin care etc during pregnacy?
That's a new one on me, but my kids are grown and teen now %26amp; they are always coming up with new stuff. I was careful about breathing fumes of hair sprays and all, mostly because I had over-sensitive sense of smell and also for safety, so did all pump sprays no aeresols.


I've heard that hair treatments like perms and colors are bad during pregnancy, and even those who say it's ok admit that they don't work normally (perms don't take or take unevenly, etc.)


I never was one for having nails done, but I think I would certainly forego that during this time because of the heavy fumes in those shops, and any chance of infection to nail beds. I also would definitely not do tanning beds or even the spay-on tan stuff.


If you are being extra cautious, why not use baby shampoos or those labeled as ';all natural';. Same for skin care, I would look for products labeled hypo-allergenic, natural, etc. Do they sell products like that at health food stores? If so, that might be another option. What does your ob say?


Another thing to keep in mind is no hot tubs--high temp is supposed to be bad for fetus and also chance of infection from water, so to be extra cautious, you might turn down the thermostat in your hot water heater and take shorter less hot baths or switch to shower. There are a lot of websites about pregnancy out there, you should be able to find more info by googling a version of your question.


My favorite reference book during that time was ';What to Expect When You're Expecting';. If you don't already have one (lots of moms-to-be have these given to them), see if a friend has a copy you can borrow or check the bookstore or library. You will probably find yourself referring to it over and over with each new stage or symptom. Look, apparently, that author of that book has a website now---might be worth checking out!


Best of luck to you!Shampoo safe or not skin care etc during pregnacy?
I've heard that hair dye could theoritically be harmful because it can be absorbed into the scalp, so for that reason, pregnant women should avoid dye or only use foils.





I use dandruff shampoo to treat Tinea Versacolor on my back. Because it is technically medication and you leave it on for 10 minutes, I asked my doctor. She said it was perfectly fine.





I think most haircare/skincare products are just fine during pregnancy. The exception is anything containing Retin-A. Anything medicated, or containing strong chemicals (like peels) should probably be run by your doctor, just to be sure.
they are fine. just avoid anything with saylic acid in it, which causes birth defects. if you are still nervous here is a website that should help you out. it has all kinds of thing on there! i love babycenter!
I don't know about the baby, but I do know of ONE ingredient that you should avoid in hair care and cosmetics. This is a known carcinogen and is bad for you and probably bad for the baby. The ingredient is COAL TAR (also available in cigarettes) It isn't used in many products anymore, but I do believe it is used in Selsen Blue and T-Gel dandruff shampoos.





Other than that, most ingredients are inert. I woudl just avoid anything you don't HAVE to HAVE. Everything you put on your skin gets absorbed by your skin, so everything in moderation.
I think you are safe with the shampoo, unless it is medicated shampoo. The skin care products you should avoid are things like Retin-A or things with vitamin A, and alpha-hydroxy acids.
i think its a load of crap. pretty soon people are going to be telling us sleeping is bad for the baby
I never heard of that.
If you didn't use shampoo for 9 months I certainly wouldn't want to know you! LOL It's perfectly fine to use shampoo and conditioner and yes, even mousse and hairspray. They don't cause miscarriages. Unfortunately, most miscarriages are caused by some anomoly within the baby itself. There's nothing you can do to prevent it and it's mostly fear and guilt that have you wondering at every turn ';will this hurt my baby'; I know I've been there, unfortunately I DID hurt my baby by stopping the birth control I was on rather than waiting until it was safer because no one told me. There are very few things you should avoid and most of them your dr will cover at prenatal appointments from types of fish to certain chemicals(mostly paint remover and stuff like that) there are very few household goods to avoid(except used cat litter) and avoid aspirin, Ibuprofen, excedrine all that stuff. If you absolutely have to take something take regular tylenol. Good luck and I'm sending you baby sticky dust!

No comments:

Post a Comment