Thursday, December 24, 2009

What human shampoo's are safe for cats?

I've heard it is ok to use a human's shampoo on a cat??





My cats are both about 8 months.


Are there any shampoos that are dangerous to cats?What human shampoo's are safe for cats?
I used to use what ever we had for shampoo on my cats. The pet shampoo is the best because they protect there natural oils. If you use any type of wash try to keep it away from there face and ears. You can put cotton balls in there ears to keep out water. Try to bath them in a sink so they have less room to move. Washing with two people, it really helps. Good luck with the cat bath.What human shampoo's are safe for cats?
I would use cat shampoo. I don't know about any human shampoos, but if you are going to use one, definitely something mild. Don't use anything with lemon or vinegar. It can damage the coat and skin.





There are also cat wipes at pet stores that will clean the coat, but you don't have to get the cat wet. I tried them recently because sometimes my cat just gets a spot somewhere She can't reach too well or she seems to get an oily spot on her coat. They seemed to do the job, but the ones I got were a little too flowery for me. Will have to find others with no smell...
Baby shampoo with lanolin or mild dish detergent
ask your vet! when you use regular shampoo on a cat it washes away the natural oil in their fur. why do you want to bath your cat anyway? they keep themselves clean. if its an odor problem then you still need to call your vet cuz cats dont smell unless there is a problem
i wouldnt use any human shampoo on a cat but dawn dishwashing liquid is good and good for killing fleas
I have used baby shampoo on adult cats and tiny kittens. Never had any problems. The good thing with baby shampoo is if you accidentally get it in their eyes, it doesn't burn. Also, the gentleness won't dry their skin. Just be sure to rinse them well, but that would apply to any shampoo.





I would not use dishwashing detergent. Dishwashing detergent is designed to remove grease and oil and will do the same to the kitten's skin. I have a dishwasher, but there are things that just have to be hand washed. The dishwashing detergents dry my hands out terribly.





Last fall I had 6 teeny orphaned kittens. They were about 12 -14 days old and flea infested. I bathed them about every 2-3 days with baby shampoo, partly to battle the fleas, but also because the kitten replacement milk gave them diarrhea and I didn't want their little bottoms to get sore. Worked fantastically! And they were so soft.





Let me give you a hint of what I do when I bathe kittens. I get an old soft washcloth and wet it with very warm water. I use this to wash their face, ears, neck and back of the head. The when I start bathing them I don't have to run water over their face and it doesn't frighten them as much.





Best of luck to you!
I will put it this way. Some human shampoos are toxic to cats.





http://mainecoonrescue.com/new/poison.ht鈥?/a>
You can find very affordable cat specific shampoos at your local pet supply shop or vet, so I'm not sure why you'd even want to use human shampoo on a cat. If you're really set on this, use organic shampoo.
The only one I've heard of anyone using on cats with any frequency is Johnson %26amp; Johnson baby shampoo. While few shampoos are 'dangerous' to cats, many have ingredients that irritate the cat's skin - especially if they're not rinsed off thoroughly. Also, cats don't like most of the fragrances used in shampoos for people.
I have only heard of baby shampoo. I know this works, it also works on dogs. Its very soft to animals.
Whats wrong with cat shampoo? Don't wash it with human shampoo. Whatever you do.
baby shampoo kills ALL THE MUTHER FUCKA FLEAS and its safe :]
i don' tthink there are any safe human shampoos to use on animals. i may be wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment